When the President started his speech PML-N legislators shouted ‘no, no’ but their voices subsided in less than two minutes as President went ahead with his speech.
• First walk out was staged by JUI-F, followed by PML-N, PML- Forward Bloc and later by PML-Q.
• Coalition Partners, ANP, MQM, FATA legislators and Member of Parliaments of smaller political parties including, PkMAP, BNP were present in the House.
• Senator Abdul Rahim Mandukhel was heard saying that President’s speech is part of the constitutional process and everybody should have listened to it.
• President Asif Ali Zardari, on behalf of the people of Pakistan and on his own behalf strongly condemned the deliberate desecration of the Holy Quran by a fanatic in Florida.
Leader of the Opposition Ch. Nisar Ali Khan wanted to speak on a point
of order before the President’s speech, but his request was turned down
by the Chair as it is not allowed under the rules.
All members of Treasury Benches including the Prime Minister thumped
desks many times and once stood up to commend the President.
After concluding his speech, President went to Prime Minister and
Members of Parliament sitting in the front row and shook hands with
Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani reached hall of the assembly at 4:00pm.
• Speaker Dr. Fahmida Mirza chaired the Joint Sitting of the Parliament.
• Chief Ministers Sindh, Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, Balochistan,Speaker Punjab Assembly, Governors Punjab, Balochistan, Khyber
Pakhtoonkhwa, Prime Ministers Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan,
Services Chiefs and diplomats were present to listen the President’s
• The visitors and press galleries were full to capacity.
Foolproof security measures were taken at the Parliament House on the occasion.
An Indian peace delgation led by Kuldip Nayyer, a renowned journalist, also watched the proceedings.